The library invites all members of The People's University of Bangladesh -- teachers and students -- to make use of its facilities and collections. The following Library Policies are instituted to ensure the library to be able to provide the best services possible for all users.
- Library Administrative Policy
- Library Development Policy
- Collection Development Policy
- Circulation Policy
- Food and Drink Policy
- Information Literacy Policy
- Gift and Donation Acceptance Policy
- Replacement and Withdrawal Policy
- Electronic Resource Use Policy
- Academic Video Production Policy
- Acquisition Policy
- Operating Hours Policy
Library Administrative Policy
Ensure that the PUB’s goals are achieved by providing leadership in the development of the library policies and strategic plans
- Develop an annual library performance plan and review annually
- Ensure the provision of high quality services to the university through motivation and encouragement of staff
- Ensure the provision of quality services and resources that contribute directly to the university’s teaching, learning and research functions
- Provide strategic advice, leadership and initiative in information management
- Promote the library as the center for learning and research
- Monitor continuously the development and application of new technologies that would enhance services provided
Library Development Policy
- Improve user services and facilities
- Develop websites for knowledge sharing
- Identify needs and provide a high quality learning resources
- Provide more personalized learning opportunities
- Promote peaceful environment for the users to study
- Collect employee feedback and respond to it
- Encourage staff to interact in person to discuss problem and new ideas
- Allow staff to attend professional conferences, subscribe to professional journals & magazines, seminars and workshop at low cost.
Collection Development Policy
The purpose of the Collection Development Policy is to provide a framework for the maintenance and development of the library's collections, to indicate priorities, to establish selection criteria across the range of different subjects, languages and media and to create a consistent and coherent basis for the future development of the collections. The collection development depends on the following criteria:
Principles of collection development
- Collection budget
- Selection criteria
- Selection aids
- Course resources
- Electronic resources
- Material received on deposit
- Gifts and exchange
- Collection assessment
- Collection valuation
Current faculty, staff, and properly registered students of PUB may borrow library materials from the PUB Libraries upon registration as library membership. Borrowing privileges will expire when affiliation with the University is dissolved
- PUB faculty, staff, and students must present a valid PUB student/employee ID card in order to charge materials.
- All materials should be brought to the Circulation desk to be checked out.
- Each individual is responsible for all library materials charged to his/her card.
- Lost ID cards should be reported immediately to Circulation desk in PUB Library and to the Admission Office
- The item is not on reserve for another patron
- The item is not in high demand
Items may be renewed in person, by telephone or using the library's web based catalogue. All items may be renewed for up to one loan periods, provided:
Lost and Damaged Material
Patrons are responsible for all materials while on loan to them, and shall report lost or damaged material at the earliest possible opportunity.
A borrower who loses or damages library material shall be required to replace the item. A replacement cost is not acceptable unless the item is not available in the market.
If a patron needs an item that is already checked out, he/she may place a hold on the item. Hold requests may be submitted in person. Patrons may place their own holds through the online catalog.
- A recall is an official request for a book to be returned early.
- All library materials are subject to Recall.
- Materials needed for Reserve can be recalled immediately.
- Recalled items cannot be renewed.
- Failure to respond to a recall notice will result in a daily fine and/or the revocation of library privileges.
- Books Not Found in the Stacks
If you cannot locate an item in the stacks and it is not checked out, patrons with borrowing privileges may request a search by informing circulation staff.A search for the item will commence, and you will be notified of the results.
Use of Study Area
PUB library is committed to providing an environment suitable for reading, study, and activities in support of research and instructional programs.
- Be considerate and respectful of others in the Library.
- Leave study spaces neat and clean and ready for use by other patrons. Take all your belongings with you, put trash in the trash bins provided.
- Ringing cell phones are not acceptable. Cell phones must be switched to silent mode. If you need to talk, step outside the library.
- Refrain from any disruptive activity, loud or excessive talking, or behavior that distracts or intimidates other patrons and staff.
- Respect the quiet study areas. No conversations or other noises are allowed in these areas.
- Use the group study rooms for group study. Please keep your conversations to a low level, so as not to disturb other users.
- Posting or placing of bills or flyers within the libraries is prohibited without prior approval from the Library.
- No photography, videotaping, recording, or filming is allowed in the Library without the express permission of librarian.
PUB Library is committed to providing an attractive and supportive environment for study and research. We ask you to help us in this effort by keeping the following in mind:
- Be responsible for all materials borrowed on your card and keep track of them through “Your Account” (online library account). Return all materials, including reserve materials, promptly.
- Borrowing privileges are not transferable and are subject to withdrawal if abused.
- You are responsible for notifying the libraries immediately if their cards are lost or stolen, or if there is any change in name or address.
- Keep your email address up to date. Library notices are sent via email, so you need an active email address listed in your library account
- Exercise care in handling library materials. If you damage an item, you'll need to pay for its repair or replacement. Examples of damage can include writing or highlighting, food spills, water damage, Post-It note usage, folding pages, tearing or removing pages, excessive heat or sunlight on media materials.
- Do not attempt repairs yourself. Notify the Circulation desk about damaged materials.
- Patrons are welcome to bring non-alcoholic drinks into the library
- Food is not permitted in the library
- Drinks are permitted in spill-proof mugs and pop-up bottles only.
We established our food and drink guidelines with the following goals in mind:
- To create an environment of mutual respect and to promote learning.
- To preserve our library collections and protect our facility from pests and harmful molds.
- To help to ensure the health and safety of all library users and a long life for library collections, furnishings, and equipment.
- To continue to direct library funds to purchasing library resources that support the curriculum, rather than to replacing materials, furnishings, and equipment damaged by food and drink.
Information Literacy Policy
The PUB Library has the responsibility to provide information literacy training to all it members clients with the aim of equipping them with the necessary skills to effectively utilize information for life-long learning.
Information Literacy shall be:
- Targeted at all PUB students
- Offered to all PUB new staff members as part of their library induction and to existing staff members on request
- Marketed to all faculties, students and staff as a core competency for lifelong learning offered in partnership with faculties
- Primarily disciplined and subject-based
- Free of charge except for customized or specialized programs.